Monday, February 1, 2016

B4 - Group D - Yuyang Shi


For my term project, I decided to work on our senior design project with BIM.

Being able to understand and use BIM is an important aspect of this class. Based on what we have learned so far, BIM has so many advantages and one of them would be its ability to work across multi platforms and disciplines. As a senior student, I am working on a senior design project with teammates that have different backgrounds and concentrations. We have two civil engineering students, one environmental engineering student, and one architectural engineering student(that is me, and I am also minoring in Architecture). So instead of continuing using Sketchup and AutoCAD for this term, I decided to switch to Revit as all of my teammates will be able to understand and even modify the model based on their expertise.

The process of working on a senior design project is similar to a real life project. As different architects and engineers will need to input their ideas on the same project and make it work. There is going to be compromise, but use Revit can minimize the compromise and maximize the efficiency in making adjustment to the model. So I have realized that putting sensors all over the building is only one understanding of what intelligent building is, the process of designing a building can also be intelligent as well by using BIM.

Certainly there would be many challenges. First of all, although I have used Revit to model before, my understanding about BIM is still limited, which was not enough if I want to develop a senior design model. So there are many tricks and methods that I need to get familiar with in order to go to next step. Another challenge is that not all my teammates know how to use this software. Some of them probably need to take a little more time on learning the software, such as the structural and mechanical aspect of Revit. I believe that as long as I am able to tackle down the fundamentals of this software and really understand the difference of Revit with traditional design software, I will able to get a much better understanding of this software and use it for our future projects.

Source:
http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2014/revit-for-structural-engineers/sd6511#chapter=0

Comments:
http://ae-510-ay15-16.blogspot.com/2016/02/b4-kuzniarowicz-group-e.html?showComment=1454377137082#c5542433107591464727

http://ae-510-ay15-16.blogspot.com/2016/01/b4-group-c-alexis.html?showComment=1454377779956#c8034422902102812576

http://ae-510-ay15-16.blogspot.com/2016/01/b4-group-e-mohammed-alqallaf.html?showComment=1454378500094#c749143398678096598

No comments:

Post a Comment