Tuesday, February 2, 2016

B4: Janet Tran Group A


Term Project Description

My term project will be an individual that will be related to my senior design project. My design project consists of building a new library for Drexel to suit the needs of contemporary students. I will be using Revit to create a 3-dimensional explicit architectural model of my building. This will allow me to easily create sections, elevations, plans, and 3-dimensional interior and exterior views. Additionally, Revit will also be used to document the mechanical system and create schematic design drawings. Since Revit takes much less effort in drafting duct-layouts than CAD software, I anticipate it will allow me to focus more on design and less on drafting. Additionally, upon sizing and selecting equipment I will be using manufacture's download-able families that interface its specifications. Both drawings and schedules will be made using Revit. This should also allow for a more fluid process between selection, design, and documentation.

 The usefulness of Revit is that is provides and explicit 3-dimensional representation of the building. More traditional software such as AutoCAD is a mere drafting tool that has dimensional limitations. Creating a Revit model forces think about coordination and how the various building systems interact. Although I am not the architect this exercise will allow me to think and take the architectural design into consideration in order to integrate my mechanical design in a more thoughtful way. In addition, it gets me to think about the other systems such as the structural, electrical, and plumbing. 

This project will extend beyond schematic design because I will be providing zone-by-zone load calculations and identify each specific area’s load and system type applications. Unlike the structural system the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system is most likely going to consist of at least more than one type of system. I also intend on beginning ductwork layouts of the building, which is a step more in the design development process rather than the schematic design phase. Though I am not creating an intelligent building, I think these exercises will help advance my skills in the use of Revit. Having never taking a course specifically focused on this program I want to take the opportunity to develop this skill, largely because it becoming an industry standard skill. Once, I am able to establish a fundamental knowledge base it will allow me to really explore other plugin features that are more advanced, such as energy analysis and load calculations. From my understanding most mechanical engineers do not perform calculations in Revit due to its limitations. However, I want to explore this limitation in the future and see how I can use Revit to streamline the design process and make it more efficient.

Student Blog Comments

Comment on AJ Kuzniarowicz's Post

Comment on Mohammed Alqallaf's Post

1 comment:

  1. I believe Drexel should absolutely consider that, as we students are suffering from only having on library to go to. Furthermore, it gets very crowded towards the end of the term and sometimes halfway through the term. Using Revit is very helpful and I anticipate you won't face unsolvable problems, however as you mentioned, one must consider Revit's limitations to come up with high quality work. Good luck

    ReplyDelete