Friday, March 11, 2016

B7 - Group C - Sean Coffey - Course Reflection

The course was awesome...

The true and not so short answer is that I really enjoyed the course. As person that sees the value in using technology to automate and organize my life a little more than most the course was insightful. The variety of technology that is becoming available and applicable to the ACE industry makes now seem like a fantastic time to be in. But if the course has actually taught me anything, whether it be that I should expect unexpected changes in the way I live and work in the future, that promising technologies will only become mainstream if someone takes the risk to prove that the technology is viable and applicable, that just like any tool new technologies can be applied to any number of things but are often only best applicable to a few tasks, or that when I use a program and feel that I am proficient in fact I have only scratched the surface of what it can do, I really only needed to learn that I don't need to that as the next generation of engineer I should be an advocate for technology. I don't necessarily need to learn every program and become a technology wiz or come away from the course and push myself to learn each topic that was covered, I just need to not be ignorant of technology and become an advocate for its greater application. I may have never come to this realization if it weren't for another professor who teaches the BIM in Construction course essentially admitted that it was his reason for being a teacher, to give students a view of how the greater use of technology is where the industry is headed, but is often impeded for reasons that are not well founded.

No comments:

Post a Comment