Monday, March 7, 2016

B7- Laura Hill- Course Reflection

Coming into this course, I was unsure what exactly I would end up gaining from it. I was originally drawn to this class because of the course description mentioning that tools including BIM modeling would be discussed. I previously had little experience with BIM, therefore having a project creating families in Revit was very beneficial for me. With this, I also gained a lot of new experience with the Database assignment. Database’s are a key tool in various career fields today, and creating them is an important skill that I can now carry with me.
The layout of this course included a lot of in class videos, readings, and guest speakers. Personally, I felt that it was a successful technique having weekly blog entries about assigned topics. This helped me gain information and knowledge on subject matter that I otherwise wouldn’t have been drawn to research about. I was able to learn a lot just through doing research on the topics and writing a 350-word post about them. Stemming from that, it was also nice having to comment on other peoples posts each week. Reading other peoples thoughts and opinions and comparing them to my own was a great way to broaden my thinking about certain topics.
One thing I specifically enjoyed about this class is the video examples that were used for a lot of the topics. For example, when we talked about robotics we watched different video examples of how robots are being executed today. When we talked about drones and how they are being used for ‘3D Printing’ buildings, we watched a few different videos to show the advancements in technology over the years. These are things that are very crucial to us in the field we are in, however, they are things that we may not know are happening if we don’t take the time to research or watch the news. Therefore, it was very valuable having those examples shown to us throughout the course.  
Overall, I thought this Intelligent Buildings course was very successful in teaching us about technology when it comes to the building industry. The layout of the course, the assignments given, and the projects we were expected to complete all showed to be beneficial in one way or another, and I would therefore recommend this class moving forward.

Comments:

Karan Sagar Sinha-
I like that you mentioned how this course differs from traditional courses. I also agree with the fact we don’t get exposed to much Revit here at Drexel, and this course definitely went in depth on some of its functions. I didn’t mention it in my post, but I completely agree that all of the guest speakers were very well chosen.

Danielle Beynon-

Like Karan and my posts, you emphasized how beneficial the BIM software exposure was in this class. I, too, feel these skills will be very beneficial to my future profession. I also like how you said that the information from this class will help you to think more ‘innovatively’. I think we are so used to learning the basics and things straight from the books, that this class really opened our eyes to things outside of that, that we wouldn’t otherwise get to learn about.

No comments:

Post a Comment