Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Course Reflection

Like most of my fellow class mates, I have had James Mitchell many times as an instructor for various classes throughout my studies at Drexel. I have always enjoyed the way he teaches the classes, always integrated into current topics, trends and new technologies. I expected no less from AE-510 as it may have been my favorite class yet with Professor Mitchell. One thing I did not like however was the seemingly long lectures. Sometimes I felt that Professor Mitchell was having a difficult time finding enough lecture material to fill the void. I believe that it should be at most 2 hours, but since it is a 3 credit class, there should be class at least 3 hours a week. Other than that, I felt that this class gave me a new view into today’s technology and advances, trends and future ideas that are being developed.
                One of the things I liked best about this class is having guest speakers actually in the field come in and discuss what they do and how they feel about whatever topics James Mitchell asked them to talk about. I also enjoyed how Mitchell exposed us to both sides of the argument, from people loving Revit and that one guy (Travis? I believe) who hated Revit. It shows that he is not bias in his views and wants us to make our own decision.
                My least favorite was probably the database portion. I just didn’t appreciate it as much as I should have. I completely understand and accept the power that databases fulfill in our society, but for me to completely understand how to build one, I just didn’t go all out learning it. My favorite part was building the family in Revit, it allowed me to create something that can be used in real life (virtual life that is).
                I thought the open-topic term project was a good idea and allowed the students to explore whatever we like to do in our lives and whatever we find interesting.
                Being a BSMS student in Architectural engineering, I always enjoyed AE classes much more than Cive and Mem classes. So I feel that this class has helped me, as I said before, it helped give me another view on today’s world and for that I give this class at 5/5!


Comments:

http://ae-510-ay15-16.blogspot.com/2016/03/b7-shields.html?showComment=1457475037198#c2482983721249907348

http://ae-510-ay15-16.blogspot.com/2016/03/b7-course-reflection-hamad-al-hajri.html?showComment=1457475182349#c5465718917348124413

1 comment:

  1. Hi matt, yes I agree with you that a 3 hour lecture is a little bit long, I think it might be helpful if he divided this lecture into two classes. I am also an architectural engineering student and I also found that this course is perfectly match what I want to be taught other that MEM courses.

    ReplyDelete