Thursday, March 3, 2016

Course Reflection

Laura Worley
Course Reflection

I have found the intelligent building class to be very interesting and informative. When I first signed up for the class, I was unsure of exactly the type of material that would be covered. I have always had a particular interest in intelligent buildings and innovative technology. We were taught the basis of these systems and also given a chance to explore the systems. In this class, we had a chance to work with Revit and database software. These projects helped me to learn much more about the programs and the user interface. I think that we had an ample amount of time to complete projects and were encouraged to do research through the weekly blog posts. The lectures were also coordinated well with the course material and we were able to learn much about a topic before being given an assignment. I feel as though after the given lectures, I am fully able to understand the concept of Intelligent buildings and the many up and coming technologies associated with these buildings.
Another interesting aspect of this class was the opportunities we were given to collaborate with one another in class. Throughout the term, we were given groups in which we would review material/projects and posts. During this time we would collaborate on our thoughts and the process. This helped to review material and also learn so much more. The given groups were also chosen in regards to our major and program. This was also helpful for us to see the ideas of people with similar interests.
The guest speakers that were brought into our class made it so that the things we were learning in class were more relatable. Many of the guest speakers were very informative and also helped us to gain a better idea of potential career opportunities. I also thought that it was very nice that they spent the time to come speak to us. Many of the employers gave out business cards which could be helpful for networking in the future. The speakers were all in different fields. Some of the speakers were new out of college and have just begun on their career paths whereas others were established in the companies and had many other stories of previous experience as well.
The blog posts were very interesting and it was great to see other people’s perspectives on certain topics. I found them also to be very informative and I have learned a lot about BIM technology that I did not quite understand before. The weekly comments on the blog posts kept us attentive to other ideas and perspectives.
Overall, I found this class to be very helpful in understanding the topics at hand, giving the class new perspectives, and teaching us new material. Even though the Drexel quarters are very short, I felt as though this class relayed a lot of information to the class.
Comments:

http://ae-510-ay15-16.blogspot.com/2016/03/course-reflection-adrian-kuzniarowicz.html?showComment=14570290457

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! Just as you did, I found this class to be very interesting and informative. I also thought it was interesting collaborating with classmates during class about specific topics. Not only was that a more realistic process, as most engineering projects are worked on in groups in the real world, but I think it truly enhance my learning experience throughout this course. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    I also registered for this course just on the topic of BIM and came away with an introduction to other aspects like AI, 3D printing, and robotics that could be the future of the design and construction industry. I learned a lot from the Q&A sessions with the guest lecturers what challenges they see in the field today. Like you said in your post, the collaborative part of the course brought many different perspectives to each project or class discussion based on similar interests and course of study. I agree that a lot of information was covered this term, but it was a very helpful elective course that I'm sure I'll refer to after graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete