Tuesday, March 8, 2016

B7 - Shields

Overall I feel more informed about the vast potential of intelligent buildings and what I may be seeing as a future civil engineer; the civil/architectural engineering industry is known for being decades behind other industries in terms of transformative technology, and through this class I’ve been introduced to progressive technology relevant to our fields that I had no idea existed. Between autonomous construction methods (robots), 3-D self-printed bridges in Amsterdam, to 3-D concrete printing, I was surprised at how progressive this field is becoming and what potential lies ahead.

In my first blog post for the class at the beginning of the term, I had expected to gain a more thorough understanding of Intelligent Buildings and learn how to apply that knowledge towards my career aspirations as a structural engineer; upon review of the syllabus, throughout the course I can say that I am capable of successfully defining concepts related to Intelligent Buildings, am much more proficient in using Revit than before I started this course and can evaluate advantages of using BIM, have a deeper understanding of SQL and relational databases, as well as assess future technology trends relevant to Intelligent Buildings. My definition and understanding of intelligent buildings has since changed; I initially thought intelligent buildings were simply designed using BIM software and require minimal physical labor to construct using remote assembly. This is a very basic and not an all-encompassing definition, as I now view intelligent buildings as incorporating computer technology in any part of the system.


As Professor Mitchell said in the beginning of the term, AE 510 is a course where you get just as much out of the class as the effort you put into it, in addition to being attentive during lecture and writing weekly blog posts. For my and Danielle Schroeder’s final project, we did a research paper on the viability of autonomous homes, where we discussed green vs. intelligent features and if they were equivalent terms. Had we had more time in our schedules, I would have liked to incorporate a BIM model to go along with the paper of a preliminary design of an autonomous home, in order to get more experience with Revit. 


Comments:
Whitesell
Schroeder

1 comment:

  1. Yasmina,

    I loved the quote that you put it at the end. I also have to agree with you that my starting definition of intelligent buildings have changed in the past 11 or so weeks. I am eager to hear about your presentation in our group today.

    ReplyDelete