Tuesday, March 8, 2016

B7 - Group D - Frasca

I found this course to be very interesting and mostly enjoyable. The material presented in the class was intriguing and the way it was presented made the lectures go by pretty fast. However, I don’t think this class needed a three hour long lecture each week to cover all of the material, I think a two hour class would have worked just as well. The guest lectures also gave a more personal perspective on the progress of technology in the industry.

The homework for this class also served to increase my understanding of the technologies presented during the lectures. The term paper was the very useful at increasing my knowledge about robotics and drones in the construction industry. The blogs were good for learning more generalized aspects about these technologies, however, I think it would have been better to respond to people not in our assigned group to make us examine it from a different perspective.The assignments were probably the most useful part of this class because it encouraged me to learn more about Revit and databases, which are very common in the design and construction industries.

As an Architectural Engineering major, having a class focused on intelligent buildings was a great experience. As technology increases, the smarter building will become, as well as the technology that constructs them. In our lifetime, we could quite possibly see many of the technologies discussed in this class implemented into buildings. Because this is our job, we must have at least a basic understanding of them, including how they work and what they are used for.

Taking this class introduced us to some of these technologies before they are even common practice in the field. This gives us an upper hand at understanding, advocating, and implementing these technologies in the future.


While this class was very optimistic about what the future may hold, we have to keep in mind that not everyone is progressive and open to new ideas, as the mechanical engineering guest lecturer discussed. So while there is a good chance we will see many of these technologies implemented at some point in time, not all of them will take-off, nor will they all be accomplished when we can see them used as the norm.

1 comment:

  1. Frasca,
    I really enjoyed reading your course reflection. Likewise, I believe that the lectures were very long and splitting them up or having a shorter lecture would’ve probably been a lot better. I personally have a short attention span and it’s very hard for me to focus for 3 continuous hours. I agree with the amazing learning experience I had taking this class. There were many things that I did not know about advancements in the building design and construction industry that I know now.

    ReplyDelete